Roadmaps get the blame for over-promising and either delivering late or delivering underwhelming results (or both). In this hands-on masterclass, legendary product leader, Bruce McCarthy, walks you through his process for establishing your product’s vision, prioritising with business objectives, validating themes, gaining buy-in across stakeholders, and maximising your team’s impact.
Based on Bruce’s best-selling new book “Product Roadmaps Relaunched: Setting Product Direction While Embracing Uncertainty”, you will learn why this approach to roadmapping works and how you can relaunch roadmapping in your organisation.
Come prepared with your hardest problems, hairiest challenges, and worst-case scenarios. Bruce will offer the benefit of his years of experience working with organisations world-wide, and will invite the entire group to weigh in with their hard-won lessons as well.
Key questions Bruce will answer include:
- What are the differences between a product roadmap and a project/release plan?
- How can I balance the need to plan, while staying lean and agile?
- How do I look beyond the next quarter without over-committing?
- How do I tie my roadmap to business objectives and OKRs?
- How do I prioritize for the most strategic impact?
- How do systematically de-risk my roadmap with experiments before I build?
- How do I manage stakeholders and their needs/pressure/influence?
Why You Should Attend
Whether you have a new product idea or an existing product, it’s important to create a clear roadmap and a plan to test it. This will help you get stakeholder alignment and allow you to systematically reduce your risks along the way.
Who Should Attend
Anyone responsible for product and company success, e.g., leaders and individual contributors in product, engineering, UX, and marketing.
CEOs, CPOs, CTOs, CMOs, Product Managers, Product Owners, Innovation Leaders, Design Managers, Engineering Leaders
What You Will Produce
- A compelling vision for a new product or service for your own needs.
- A prioritized list of customer problems to solve.
- A set of business objectives/OKRs to measure success in your organisation.
- A roadmap of outcomes rather than outputs.
- A list of experiments you can use to to de-risk your assumptions.
- An action plan to make this work for you.
What You’ll Leave With
If a compelling vision for your new product and a plan to make it happen isn’t enough…
- A signed copy of Bruce’s book.
- An electronic version of the slides from the workshop.
- Catered breakfast, lunch and snacks.
- The friends you make along the way.
When: 9am-5pm, 26th March 2020
Where: Møller Centre, Churchill College, Cambridge UK
Breakfast, Refreshments, and Lunch will be provided.
About Bruce: Bruce is a serial entrepreneur who has led product teams at NetProspex, ATG, Oracle and D&B. He is a prolific writer, organizer, and sought-after speaker at product management, agile, UX, and innovation events around the world. Bruce helps companies like Vistaprint, Localytics, Huawei, Nuance, and Zipcar achieve their product visions. Through his leadership, mentoring, workshops, and team coaching, Bruce has identified the key principles underlying successful product organizations and in 2018 he launched Product Culture.
Steve Blank said about Bruce’s book, Product Roadmapping Relaunched: How to Set Direction While Embracing Uncertainty (O’Reilly Nov 2017), “It’s about time someone brought product roadmapping out of the dark ages of waterfall development and made it into the strategic communications tool it should be. McCarthy and team have cracked the code.”
Get on the BoS Conference Mailing List
Be first to see new videos, join free speaker hangouts, stay up to date on BoS Conference programmes and a regular dose of thought provoking ideas.
Unsubscribe anytime. We will never sell your email address.